End of Week One

End of Week One
A Happier and Haler Rusty-Farian

Saturday, July 27, 2013

What Are Hot Spots? What Causes Them?

It's interesting how people interpret Hot Spots on their pets. Generally, when they occur with mine, it has something to do with allergies - lately, food related allergies. Yes, Daddy was naughty in June, when he couldn't make it to Costco to get the natural food my dogs eat. So, I went to the supermarket down the street, and bought what I thought was the best quality food (after reading many labels!). It wasn't exactly cheap, and I believed I had bought something that was relatively healthy for my pups. WRONG!

Within 3 days, my dogs had digestive problems, I hadn't seen in a while. And then, Sammy began to really scratch and chew his side! I hadn't seen this in a while. They had all been treated for fleas, and had been bathed recently. They also had been brushed on a regular basis...so Why?

Well, earlier that day, I had made it to Costco, and bought a big bag of their Nature's Domain, which is half the price of the regular kibble at the other stores, and it's all natural, with no gluten. I had begun to feed them this, but the damage was already done...Sammy had a hot spot.

Now, when I first adopted Sammy, his mother told me he was prone to hot spots. Oddly, this was the first time in about a year for him to get one...The culprit had to be the food, in this case. She had given me medications galore that she had used to help treat them. I hate using medications when home remedies can work just as well, and they aren't liable to do any damage to the dog's system...like the vinegar rinse I wrote about yesterday.

So, I bathed him, and finished with a vinegar rinse. This seemed to appease him for a short time. But then it was time to take him to the groomers, as his appointment drew nigh. Of course, I was embarrassed to let them know he had this issue. But, she was a pro, and she understood. So, as I left him off at Pup-A-Razzi , I was a tad nervous.

When I picked him up, she had been quite delicate around his wound, which was nasty looking, and he was back at it. Obviously, she had washed him again, but wasn't using a vinegar rinse. So, I hied him home and rinsed him off again - poor guy - he hates being bathed, and today he'd been subjected to at least 3 rinses/baths...

By the next day, though, the gnawing had stopped. I still put vinegar on the wound, and although I could tell he was a little irritated, the scratching and chewing abated.

Long story short - Sammy's problem came from the food. There are other reasons for Hot Spots, which are caused by allergies to several elements. Thus was the case with Skallywag many moons ago.

For more information on these, visit eHow, WebMD, VetInfo, and, of course, Cesar Milan.

Before using any form of medication, though, be sure to use the Vinegar rinse, and ride it out for a couple of days. Also, look at your pet's diet (this includes treats - many are just vile, and even though my dogs love them, they're like nasty junk food - how many of you want to have that as often as you give it to your pet?), flea protection, grooming, excercise regimen, and any chemicals in your yard/garden with which your pet may come into contact...

I hope this helps!

I hope that my next blog will also be informative.

Please let me know what you think, and send me feedback! I'd truly appreciate it!

Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment