End of Week One

End of Week One
A Happier and Haler Rusty-Farian

Monday, May 26, 2014

BAD DAD!!!!!

Ai Me!

A few weeks ago I went to Costco and picked up some lamb treats for the pups.  They love them.
Now, these are strips, and, without thinking about the ingredients, I bought them, not realizing they had wheat gluten in them.

What a stupid thing to do!

This past week, I began to give them out to the pack and they delighted in the smell - I mean, who doesn't love lamb?!  Right?!

Well, Samson's body doesn't like this serving of lamb!

At first I thought it was fleas.  He began scratching - especially around his groin.

Then, despite all the brushing I was doing, his right ear kept looking oddly disheveled, and began to mat.

I found, on his neck, a lump of something that could have been sap, blood, whatever - but it wasn't sticky, and it didn't wipe off.

I caught him scooting.

Rusty began chewing his leg.

So, bath time!

During the bath, I found a hard lump, ball-like, in Sammy's groin area.

His mother, here for a wedding, told me that she thought the neutering was incomplete, and they couldn't find a testicle.

So, I phoned the vet and told them this.  I also wanted to see what was wrong, as he seemed oh so miserable.
Preliminary tools for Sammy

I took Sammy and Simon to the vet.  Simon won't let either Samson or me out of his sight!  We got there and Samson stayed very close to me...I'd like to think he understood we were doing right by him.
 Dr. Leddy preps for the exam


What did we find?  Hot spots and a staph infection - on his neck and in his groin!

They took him in the  back to finish his exam.

Simon waits patiently for Sammy to return.

They removed his fur, and gave him a couple of injections to help clear the infection.  They washed him and removed all the pus from his neck and groin.
Sammy's neck exposing the infection.

The lump was a swelling of his prostate.
a  partial view of the groin area - it's really nasty!

I've never seen him so miserable.  He was not going to let me near him!

He lunged at me when I tried to take a gander at his groin.

Yes, he's improving, and moving much better.  The scratching has ceased.  But, he still won't let me near the groin to clean it and put cream on it - in fact, he bit me!  He has bitten me more in the past 2 days than he's ever done (that was in play - this is serious!  This is "Don't you ever ever ever ever ever ever try that again!).

Lesson - Read the ingredients!

     AND - never underestimate a cute dog as being able to annihilate you!

He screams from just the touch of the cream.

I hope in the next day or so he'll be back to feeling up to trusting me, and not feeling so much pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment