End of Week One

End of Week One
A Happier and Haler Rusty-Farian

Tuesday, June 30, 2015

A Paean to Rusty

My Dear Old Laddie:

You came to us afraid and abused.
Your life began again, as your sadness became curiosity and amusement.
You ran, danced and explored for the first times in your life.
You kept your humor about you and were so very trustworthy and loyal.

For nearly four years, you've been by my side after a close brush with death.
But your past crept up and seized your weakness - your left leg and hip.
Although the pain was awful you kept mustering on.
But even pills and love couldn't take that away.

I am choking as I write this and you sleep in the other room.
Your eyes tell me it's time, although I wish it wasn't so.
It's been nearly two months since you woke me early to rise and shine and walk,
Your energy is sapped from dealing with the pain.

I hear your pleas each time you snarl and snap at me when I try to help.
I love you old laddie, my Rusty, my Budagabu,
You'll always remain in my heart.

Although I know the pain is strong,  I still pray for another end,
Wherein you cuddle for four more years, my dear old fluffy friend.
Your smile in spirit, eyes and heart will leave us all in a void,
For they will be missing every second, my dear old darling boy.

This morning you woke me with a cheery bark.
Your eyes so soft and loving and smiling.
You seemed to savor every moment until you, once again, collapsed and vented your pain.
I wish you peace and tranquility with Skally and others.
Please forgive me for not bringing you joy for longer, but the pain was too great for you.

My heart aches and the tears will flow with every thought of you.
I love you still.

No comments:

Post a Comment