End of Week One

End of Week One
A Happier and Haler Rusty-Farian

Friday, December 27, 2013

Samson and His Back....

Today, we have an appointment with Dr. Leddy, to . see about 1) managing pain for Samson and his back; and 2) getting a referral for a chiropractor to come and mend him.

Samson has been off and on with his troubles for the past week. Remember, I thought it was his nails. Well, the groomer called and said she couldn't finish because he was in terrible pain when she tried to shave him (and no, it wasn't a straight edge and strop). An aspirin a day isn't really cutting it at this point...the pain seems to ebb and flow - there are gobs of time when he trots around as though all is well...and then the other times where my heart is breaking for him. He has a reasonably good attitude about it all, though.

He has taken to snuggle more with me, and Skallywag. This morning, Simon was demanding attention when I was scooping Sammy off the bed...It was interesting! Samson seems to have mixed feelings about Simon; he's either beating him up, threatening him, or snuggling - depending on time and place. Wow.

Yesterday, he decided to really race and prance around at the park, but after 1/2 hour of that, I could tell he was really in agony. So, we came home, where I gave him a really good massage. I noticed he splayed out and elongated himself after that, and was in good shape for a while after.

The trouble I'm having, though, is keeping him from leaping up on to the bed. The bed is quite high, and I have to scoop him up so he doesn't leap off, thus hurting himself more. I tried stairs, a ramp, what have you, but he goes around it and jumps. Yes, I tried treats, training, etc. Still doesn't work. Same thing with the doggie door. He still doesn't use it, unless I open it for him.

No. He's not an idiot.


Not completely sure how to handle this now. He's laying comfortably near me on a chair. I will have to close the door to the bedroom to keep him out while I'm gone, and then when I'm home to keep him close by. This will surely irritate Skally, who keeps the bedroom as her own while I'm out. Simon, too, will be a little ticked - but if I keep any kind of foodstuffs off the counters and tucked away, I shouldn't be seeing any destruction and ingestion by him.

Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment