End of Week One

End of Week One
A Happier and Haler Rusty-Farian

Monday, March 10, 2014

My History with Dogs - which helps answer: Why Four (4) Dogs???

When I'm walking my little family, or we're at the park people often remark, "You have FOUR  dogs?"

I have been relatively well-behaved in not replying, "Yes.  I'm glad you can count that high!"  Instead, I smile and give a little laugh.

Yesterday afternoon, a man being pulled along by his boxer and mixed-breed exclaimed, "You must have one strong arm to be able to keep all those under control like that!"  Just then, his boxer sniffed a little too closely to Sammy who (isn't all that comfortable with strange dogs sniffing him with great familiarity) snapped at the boxer (all three of the others were relaxed during all this - they're used to him).

We pulled back and went merrily on our way.  The man remarked to another dog-walker, "You gotta be careful of those small ones!"  Thankfully he was laughing.


But Why do I have four dogs?  I never imagined I would ever do such a thing!  In fact, had you asked me 20 years ago, I would have told you to put a bullet through my head if I ever attempted such a stunt.  But I'm very content with my lot and my kids.

It all began back in 1996.  My buddy, Don, and his partner had 2 dogs - min-pins.  Brownie and Coco.  He constantly extolled the virtues of having them, and me, being an animal lover, bought into the idea, but never really made the move.

1994-5 had been a year of death in my family.  I won't go into the dynamics of it all, but after the deaths of my sister-in-law, grandmother, and then my father, I was left psychically drained.  I was exhausted, as well.  My doctor warned me that I was a prime candidate for a heart attack or stroke - I was only 36 at the time.  I had been working out, I had thought, but not on a regular basis.  So, after many matters out-of-town had been dealt with, I began a gym membership (yes, there is a point to this).

Working out was great.  That's when I met Don.  We became work-out partners.  By the spring of '96 he promised me a dog for my birthday, as I really began to see the healing nature of the animals.  So, I began to look.  Don and I found a schipperke puppy, and I was quite taken with it.  However, Skipper was not to be mine.  Don took it home and made him part of his family.

I was quite taken with the breed, though.  I did research on it.  So did everyone else for my sake (or so they said).  They cautioned me to not adopt such a breed as I was already too ADHD, and needed a calming effect on my house.  Well, in August I found Syd.

Don said it was too early, so I went along.  Then, after my birthday, we went dog shopping.  Eventually we found Syd, who had been brought back.  He and I quickly bonded.  I took him home, and we began our journey together.

I looked for a companion for my Obsydian (aka Syd).  I didn't like that he was all alone when I was at work, the University working on my Master's, or off with friends.  We did spend goodly amounts of time together, but it wasn't enough.

Nearly 2.5 years later, I was shopping at the pet store with Syd, and a woman came in with her puppy (aged 6 months, and 54 pounds - compared to Syd's 2.5 years and 23 pounds).  She asked the pet adoption people about leaving her with them, as she hated to venture into the shelter itself.   I felt badly, and saw what a calm girl the pup was.  So, I invited them to my house, down the road, to see if Syd and "Rascal" would hit it off.

They did.  When the woman left, though, "Rascal" went into hiding.  She wouldn't come out.  I tried everything.  I left the door open, I put out food and water, I went and dragged her out, but she went right back to her hiding spot behind the shed.

The next day, though, she came into the house, investigating.  She hadn't eaten or had any water all night.  Eventually I got her to stay in, and the relationship began.

We changed her name to Skally.  Syd didn't like sharing, especially with an Alpha Female, as Skally was (I was still rather ignorant about much of this).  They played in different circles at the park; they had completely different interests, yet Skally relied on Syd at the beach, and in what was new-to-her territory.  But at home she began to rule the roost.

Time came when we moved into our current home.  This same time, Don and Dave were splitting.  They had acquired another puppy, Cubby, a schipperke, who was quite curious, but wasn't able to get along well with their other dogs.  Neither Don or Dave had been able to bond with him, and he was quite rambunctious.  He didn't get along well with the other dogs of theirs, either.  I had often offered to take him into my home, but they refused - until now.   Cubby had come over to my house on numerous occasions for sleep overs (before Skally), and knew us.  As it turned out, fortuitously for him,  I was getting him in the divorce.

When I picked him up, he dashed out the front door into the neighborhood.  Don was about to run after him, and I told him to go inside.  Cubby was mine now, and I would deal with him.  He watched as I strode out to the car, called Cubby and opened the door.  Cubby came immediately and jumped in.  Later, Don would tell me he realized Cubby needed to be with me, anyhow.

His entry into the home was a little rough.  Syd wasn't thrilled at first (he walked over to the video collection and pee'd on it), but Cubby and Skally became besties.  The three of them would frolic in the den, and life was quite divine.  They took care of one another.  We were a good family.

Eventually, Cubby was attacked by a pitbull who had jumped his leash.  I blame the owners.  Afterward, Cubby began to develop neurological trauma, which we couldn't pin down.  He finally, in his 12th year, had to go to the park in the sky, as he was in too much pain and couldn't walk.

This was devastating for all of us.  Skally and Syd went into a depression that I'm not sure they ever resolved.  By August, Syd had developed cancer (at age 14) and joined Cubby.  I was bereft.  Skally seemed happy, though, that Syd was no longer suffering and she had me all to herself.

The next year Skally was by my side whenever possible.  She bonded with my mother, who never liked Syd or Cubby.  I would hear her chatting with Skally when she thought I wasn't around.  They seemed to bond.

I had taken Skally to the pet psychic (one I had seen with all three, before, and she amazed me with some of the insights she gave- things she never could have known) who told me Skally wanted an older bigger dog - and that it would happen in Spring.

It didn't.  It happened in August.  I found Rusty on Craigslist.  Well, the rest is in my opening entry for the blog, and then it all went from there.


Tell me again about how you brought me here and my life changed!?  Please!!!!??!!!


To be honest, there are times when I wish I was dog-free.  I never thought Skally would live this long (going quite strong at 15.5 years!).  I never thought I'd be receiving Pet-A-Mony from a former dog parent who needed a good home for her kiddo.

Why Four Dogs?  Good Question.  I supposed the answer is that they complete me in so many ways.  They take me out of myself after a grueling day.  I've learned to develop new coping mechanisms that are more effective for me.  I learned not to take things so seriously, as they are "things" and quite temporal.  I learned I don't always need to sleep sprawled out on the bed - that I need to share.  I learned healthy habits for them - I'm still working on my own.  I made friends with similar interests, and many who are my opposite, but we come together with our dogs.

My life is richer.  These are kids who never leave home.  They grow up.  They talk to me, if I listen well enough, and they never leave me.  Even Syd and Cubby are with me in spirit, as will my four who are surrounding me now, eventually will...It's a sweet existence with normal consequences.  I am comforted in knowing they are always there for me - and I hope I am for them, as well.

Skally sleeping on her favorite Sheepskin rug in the family room.

No comments:

Post a Comment