End of Week One

End of Week One
A Happier and Haler Rusty-Farian

Saturday, January 25, 2014

Packing - no....not luggage

A beautiful day. We're having wonderful weather - albeit breezy and cool. But it's not raining, nor snowy. Ice on the ground in the mornings, and the wind chill is there - but it's still bright enough to enjoy.

This seems to be a pep pill for the pups. They love the sun, especially when it doesn't mean needing air conditioning, fans, or very early and late night exercise to escape the heat. It's nearly pleasant out.

Of course, the rest of the country seems to be in an icy bind, but we aren't, so we can relish this.

As the dogs were at the park, today, I pondered upon their not playing much with many other dogs as they once did.

When Skally and I were just a pair, she would play often with several dogs. She revelled in finding others to play with. Now, at age 15.5, she has slowed, but still, every once in a while, she finds a young virile stud, and keeps pace with him to her best abilities. Sometimes it's embarrassing. She's my cougar. Yup! She may look frail and dainty, but once her hormones begin pumping, she's right there! Wow!


When Rusty came, she still kept it up, and eventually Rusty would run out and chase other dogs; herding them, as it were, nipping and doing a short sprint or two, here and there. After he nipped me, though, he seemed to have stopped...it may have been my reaction, which was a loud "OW!" and a reminder everytime he was on my heels chasing me. He didn't truly stop, though. He still managed a good run - but other dog parents seemed to be wary of him...Hmmmmmmmm.


Then, along came Samson. Samson usually runs around, plays with other dogs, or hounds after them. It's cute. It's harmless. He's quite popular among the other humans, and some dogs...well, that is until....


Simon came along. Simon gets to chase the ball. Simon gets to run. Simon goes about leaning into other people. Simon is another favorite with the park patrons. Samson seems to resent this - Samson seems to go after Simon (about a 60-70 pound difference, mind you) more at the park than anywhere else. Poor Simon!


Simon used to play with other dogs, as well, when he first came to live with us. Yet, within a month - after chucking the ball became a routine, he seemed to stop, disregarding many of his earlier pals.

Why?

I'm not completely sure. But what dawned on me, today, was they are truly a pack.

I thought back to last week at the beach. They walked as a pack, keeping me as the leader (as it should be), and venturing out a little to investigate, but always coming back to the group. They're well-mannered, as well, just sniffing as if window shopping, and not creating a fuss.

Today at the park, they walked around sniffing, but they wouldn't interact with any other dogs unless I had. And if I patted another dog, or had them near me, mine rushed to my side to remind me they were mine. They don't want to share any more, apparently.

But after doing some research, what I discovered was the Pack Guards the Home. This means that wherever I am, as leader, they are going to be by my side, ensuring nothing happens. But that poses the question as to "Why didn't they do this before?"

I have no idea. But, what I'm thinking (not believing at this juncture in time), is that every year, for the past 3, I have added to the pack. Each dog has his/her own needs. Skally is still the sole female of the group, and she oversees them all. She has been quite standoffish for the past year, but is coupling with Rusty, and even with Simon at times, in her relaxation phases. Samson is a no-brainer. He will cuddle with anyone - including me. But he resents sharing the bed with Simon....

And the other dogs they play with at the park are established friends of theirs. If we see them on a regular basis, or there's a history of friendship/activity with the other dog, then they're tolerated or accepted; so long as they aren't going to be living under our roof. They can come and play - just not stay; especially if it's a female (Skally doesn't tolerate any other female but herself living here).

I find this quite interesting. It would appear that I have been watching this happen over the past decade with all my pups, but only recently has it come to my attention.

If anyone reads this and finds that it's relevant to what they've seen, experienced, questioned, or whatever, then I beg them to share!

No comments:

Post a Comment